It is truly impossible to know all the characteristics of such an omniscient God. We could spend all of our days trying to figure Him out, but never be able to grasp and understand His Majesty. His love for us is unimaginable and undeserved; we fail time after time and yet He loves us all the same.
I have failed so many times, in so many areas of my life, but there is one that area that I just cannot learn to “perfect”; financially. I have learned to become a better steward than I have been, but that is still nowhere near the good steward I should be. I tithe regularly, but still overspend and don’t save as I should. I pray about big purchases, but don’t feel it necessary on smaller ones. I can’t seem to process that money doesn’t grow on trees and that if you do not have a job (and even when you do have a job), the money eventually runs out.
Although I have not yet fully learned how to be a good steward and there have been, and possibly will be more, consequences to my actions, my Lord does not keep record of my wrongs. He does not forsake me nor does He leave me to fend for myself. He provides when His children are need. He protects when His children are in distress. What I have learned is that God’s love and provision for me is not dependent on my behavior, but on my dependence on Him. He sees who He created me to be, not who I once was or even who I am. And as long as my heart is fully committed to Him, He will be there to strengthen me. (2 Chronicles 16:9)
I do not claim to be fully committed to Him, but do claim to grow in my commitment to Him more and more every day. Some days that growth is two steps forward and one step back, but if you do the math correctly, that still equals to one step forward. And with each step forward, I come to know another one of His infinite characteristics and His promises to me.
God’s names and characteristics all can be found in His Word. Here are only a few of them;
- Emmanuel: My God with Me (Matthew 1:22-23)
- El-Channun: The Gracious God (Jonah 4:2)
- El Hanne’eman: The Faithful God (Deuteronomy 7:9)
- El Roi: The God Who Sees Me (Genesis 16:13-14)
- El ha-Gibbor: The Mighty God, God the Hero (Isaiah 9:6)
- El Shaddai: The All-Sufficient God (Genesis 17:1-2)
- El Sali: God of My Strength (Psalm 42:9)
- El Olam: The Everlasting God (Genesis 21:32-33)
- El Elyon: The Most High God (Daniel 4:34)
- Elohim: God, My Mighty Creator (Genesis 1:1)
- Jehovah Jireh: The Lord Who Will Provide for Me (Genesis 22:13-14)
- Jehovah Rapha: The Lord Who Heals Me (Exodus 15:26)
- Jehovah Nissi: The Lord My Banner (Exodus 17:15-16)
- Jehovah Shalom: The Lord My Peace (Judges 6:24)
- Yahweh Tsuri: The Lord My Rock (Psalm 144:1)
- Jehovah Rohi: The Lord My Shepherd (Psalm 23:1)
- Jehovah Shammah: The Lord is There for Me (Ezekiel 48:35)
- Abba: My Father (Psalm 68:5-6)