This morning I woke thinking of the same thing that I have been thinking about as of late. I quickly thought to myself, why isn’t the Lord the first thing on my mind when I wake up? It made me think, where does my heart rest? Coincidentally (not really!) my “Jesus time” this morning was about our devotion and where it lies.
We are constantly being lied to. Constantly! And if you don’t believe that, let me tell you, that’s a lie all in itself. As often as the Lord speaks, the enemy speaks even more…with more volume, persistence and desperation. He is desperate for us to believe his lies. To distract us from our devotion to the One we were betrothed to because when our devotion lessens our attention can be easily shifted and manipulated. And when our attention is shifted, we easily lose sight of where the Lord is leading, eventually losing sight of Him.
So be aware…
1. We have an enemy. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
2. His greatest tool is deception. But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3
3. His favorite tactic is causing us to question God’s instruction. Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’? ” Genesis 3:1
4. He always challenges God’s character. “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. Genesis 3:4
5. His ultimate goal is broken relationships with God and others. When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Genesis 3:6
Therefore…Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life (Proverbs 4:23) and where your devotion lies!